View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 09:49 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Oh my goodness! Didn't know my first post would be about the APBT but here goes. Thank goodness some of you posters understand that it is not the breed but the owner who is at fault here!
I have owned this breed for nearly 30 yrs. I can tell you that the problem with this breed is POOR OWNERSHIP and POOR BREEDING practices.

This breed is very DA(dog aggressive) This is a controversial topic and is MY Opinion as well as MANY OTHERS and any owner should know this right up front.

They are a stubborn breed as well and require a firm owner with good sense.

Those are the downside points. Here are the PLUSES for the breed!

Very LOYAL and AFFECTIONATE
PEOPLE FRIENDLY!!! If well bred and socialized from a pup, and handled with love and attention.
Playful, goofy and very clownish behavior.
Very athletic, very strong and loves to do weight pulls for their master.
Very loving with children. ( Children must be taught how to act around ANY dog)
Are very sweet with other animals of the opposite sex IF introduced properly by the owner. My own love my 4 housecats dearly.

**Side note: Any American Pit Bull Terrier that displays TRUE human aggression must be put down. Hard to say, hard to do, but a necessity.

This breed is no different really than any other large breed dog except that the majority of them MAY BE Dog Aggressive once maturity sets in.

They DO NOT have locking jaws but yes will "lock on and not let go"
The owner must own a Breakstick and learn how to use it.

This breed CANNOT be offleash in public. It is an accident waiting to happen with other dogs.( There are some exceptionally well trained dogs that this does not apply to)
** Any owner who lets his animal run at large is irresponsible.
They require an enclosed yard and should be crate trained as all inside dogs should be.

Go to ADBAs website and read the breed standards and you will learn the correct weights and heights of this breed. You will be astonished at the people who claim to have Pit Bulls but really DO NOT!!
They have AmStaffs, AmBullies, American Bulldogs, and MIXED American Pit Bull Terriers.
Thanks to you all for letting me go on and on.
NeuroRN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (02-15-2010), diaba (02-15-2010), Jules A (02-15-2010), SallyC (02-15-2010)