View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 10:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Unrelated to my MG, I had Cushing's (which is too much cortisol, the equivalent of too much prednisone) and despite measures to control it like pituitary surgery, ended up having my adrenals removed - so I must take steroid replacements for life. It was when my adrenals when out then we discovered to my dismay that I must have been self-treating for MG, as it was then my MG roared to the forefront. But I will not and cannot take steroids due to the damage that has already been done to my body from the steroids.

Now there is a point where your body will *use* the steroid and then it will not be damaged. You will know that by always being able to sleep, never getting cataracts, your bones being fine etc. But Pred has a longer half life than an entire day - being up to 36 hours depending on the body (everyone uses a steroid differently) and does not go into effect right away.

I would keep an eye on the side effects as they can be sneaky and well, not all seen. It may be something to come off the 15mg - cortisol weans can be painful. Just be sure to take care of your bones extra careful while on the med.