View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 11:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey, Eddy! Just yesterday my 15 yr old daughter (6 1/2 months PCS) was working on some homework and said, "Oh...I get this now...duh" So I think that's a great improvement. And I'm seeing her quick wit and sarcasm coming back. She cares enough to be sarcastic, which I suppose is good. We aren't that far into it in comparison to lots of people, and she still has some headaches and concentration/memory issues, but I do see some improvements.

I love that you mentioned realizing that Valentine's Day with your gf was a great thing. I've seen new and beautiful friendships blossom for my daughter. Her old "friends" were mostly related to sports. They have sort of fallen away, but she's had a couple of new people, who I think will be life-long friends, step in. She and I are finding a few new, fun dimensions to our relationship. I would say she has also "lost her mind but found her heart" in some respects. Her own sense of compassion has grown immeasurably.

Mark mentioned to me some time ago to try to appreciate more simple things with her. At the time I was frustrated and it wasn't easy to take his advice. Now I'm seeing how right he was. If she wants to spend the afternoon building a ramp for her slinky, there's nothing wrong with it. In fact I've realized that kind of thing is allowing her brain to think in new and different ways than her pre-injury lifestyle would have allowed. She finds great fun in playing with our dog now, who she virtually ignored before.

So...short answer...no dramatic "I'm healed" moments. Just very, very slow and gradual improvements in all of her symptoms. We are insanely, giddily, over the top thankful for each and every one of those improvements. Right now my husband and I tell each other, almost daily, if she never gets any better than this she will still be able to live a full life. What else could we possibly ask for?
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (02-17-2010)