View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

First, its a teeny, tiny apartment. Like 300sq ft. TOTAL that is bed, bath, kitchen, LR and so on. They charge ...get ready...$900 per month! OMG just because its on a lake? It includes all expenses except phone. Most folks just use their cell, and it includes a cell booster plug in should you not be able to get a signal. Its teeny for one person.

When they advertize it to be rented, folks come out of the woodwork! single moms with 3 kids, couples with a big dog, I think its attractive because the apartment buildings in the city do a credit check, and a back ground check. These folks who rent apartments out of their homes, dont. This makes them an easy target for those who are nut jobs, and broke. When they show it to a single woman who announces she has 3 kids, they are amazed at how often the women say "I can make this work."

I think since the financial collapse and so many folks being hucked on the street with the loss of their homes, we have many walking wounded out there, who cant meet the requirements of renting an "official" apartment. These two simple folks who own the house, are not worldly, nor have they had any experience with being hurt, used, or taken advantage of. They tend to be quite trusting, and go out of their way to be helpful.

Its not my house, so I have limited say, but I do encourage them to at least do a police check. You can do a back ground or credit check on someone for very little money. When this guy rented, they said "oh, he is just a sweet old man." I said "something about him bugs me. he seems weird." I asked them to please check him out. The only references they checked were his sisters!

I hope the next tenant gets better screeening. I think these folks are starting to learn that not everyone is truthful.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jappy (02-16-2010), Kitty (02-16-2010)