View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 02:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I agree with hockey and Mark. Nobody is going to tell you how to "get through" this because 1) there is no secret way to mask your symptoms and keep functioning at an acceptable level; and 2) even if there were a way it would be dangerous and irresponsible.

I thought about you this past weekend when I saw TWO basketball players go for balls and hit their heads on the ground. They immediately went into fetal position and clutched their heads. To be very honest with you it made me cringe and I felt like throwing up.

Your basketball season may be almost over, but you know that there will be spring ball, summer open gyms, camps, etc., that you will want to participate in, not to mention city league and other sports you participate in. The sooner you have a real, honest conversation and evaluation with a skilled neurologist and/or a neuro psychologist the sooner you can start building on your future.

We are not doctors. Until you are honest with a skilled professional you truly do not know what, if any, limitations you will have and what treatment options will work for you. What we all know for a fact is that right now you could be putting yourself in very serious danger.

Think of it this way....a little over a year ago my teenage son jumped off a balcony and cracked his heel bone. (You don't even want to hear the explanation he offered for this decision ) The other day he told me that even after appropriate medical treatment and a year's time to heal, he can still feel it when he jumps barefoot or stomps his foot. My highly educated advice to him was "stop doing that." If it hurts, quit doing it because you are only making it worse.

Now think about this...if he can still feel a lowly heel injury after a year, what makes any of us think that the most sensitive and complicated organ in our body, our brain, will heal quickly and with no lingering triggers or sensitivities?
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (02-16-2010), Hockey (02-16-2010), nancys (02-16-2010)