View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Problems with peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim0918 View Post
I've heard of a lot of problems with leaking at the peg tube site leading to infection. Not much else though. UF has it on their site that the study they are doing is scheduled to end mid 2010.
My husband is participating in the Duodopa trial at MCG in Augusta, GA. He had the surgery in September 09 and did have the problem with leaking at the peg site which did lead to a very serious infection and he became septic. He was in the hospital for 24 days. We almost lost him. The drug works great but he is still struggling to regain his weight and strength after the long hospital stay.

It is my understanding the pegs and tubing are different from the pegs and tubing normally used in the US. Our doctors agreed that Solvay should either change the pegs and tubes or train our US gastro doctors about the differences. It seems like a simple solution but I continue to hear of these same problems again and again. If they know there is a problem, why don't they just address it??!! It is so frustrating.

My husband has had great success with Duodopa. The continuous infusion has greatly reduced his fluctuations and dykenesias. I just pray that get this approved quickly because we can surely see the great benefit it would be to so many people suffering with PD.
Dianne G is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
paula_w (10-20-2010), SWer4Deaf (04-02-2011)