View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 11:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlek View Post
It was a decision I made [thanks to the 'web'] rather easily? My options were steroids [not likely as I was already on the 'line' for osteo]; plasmapheresis or IVIG. The IG seemed the least invasive and actually the most organic? [If you can call 'pasteurized/processed blood product' 'organic'?] Well, you get my point.
For initial IVIG infusions they do DO it in a hospital or approved outpatient setting. WHY? some folks really react! to some pieces of the IVIG product. Those reactions aren't nice, truly - but are rare. After two plus years at a hospital for infusions, I've had one very bad reaction IN a hospital but was 'released' and left to go home after that...The staff has since been 'retrained' as I complained to the State Hospital Board... I had aseptic meningitis -a whopper of a headache! But, that was only once out of several years of infusions! It was a badly prepared and stored 'batch' and there are ways to tell what's good or not.
I now have infusions at home and the meds are delivered the day before, and nurse comes the next two days. This is great, as I've got to pre-med w/lots of benedryl to prevent any other reactions and I am one dishrag after infusing, to a happy dishrag! I used to feel uncomfortable about a stranger in my house/home when being infused? But the nurse I got is a treasure! And I know I'm very lucky to have her! You must make your own decisions tho? Also what your insurance can LET you do is also critical...tho I've found home infusion about 60% costs of hosptial infusions? Well, what your insurance company allows? IS what you get? Ask your Neuro's office - they are GOOD at that kind of stuff and to get the paperwork all lined up like the ducks they should be! Hoping you give it a try? Praying it helps! We shouldn't have to hurt so much! - 's and good luck to boot! - j
Thank you. I have been hurting and feeling ill for so long... Sometimes, I don't realize how bad I feel until I have a 'good' day and then it is just like a teaser because it does not last. I am still on the fence about IVig and have another option to exhaust (Mestinon). My neurologist said that he can prescribe IVig for me and arrange it so that my insurance will cover it (I will believe it when it happens).

It is very reassuring to me to know that you are out there and that I can ask you questions about it... May I ask what type, or what, has caused your neuropathy?

Thanks for writing Dahlek, and I hope you are feeling well. back to you,

Mere

P.S. I understand how you feel about steroids. I was on 20 mg per day for arthritis (a couple of years ago) and it made me feel manic and it also made me cushinoid. I am now on 3 mg (a very small dose) and it is an acceptable dosage to me, but I would be very reluctant to take any more than that.
Mere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote