View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 02:00 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Why are they so indifferent?

[QUOTE=Dianne G;622585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitcher View Post
I had a doc from the University of South Florida, Tampa, say that there were a lot of issues with infection at the site. I can only hope that this problem has been resolved.

Unfortunately I don't believe the problem has been resolved. There is a problem with our surgeons being unfamiliar with the different peg and tubing and apparently Solvay has been slow to either change the tubing or further train our doctors. My husband is in the study and had surgery in September 09 to insert his peg. He got a serious infection, requiring additional surgery to repair and correctly place the peg along with removing the infection. He became septic and came very close to dying. He was in the hospital for 3 1/2 weeks. The drug is great but the procedure needs to be perfected. Seems that the solution is simple -- but Solvay hasn't responded very well.
Thank you so much for this valuable information. It is upsetting that Solvay does not see the immense marketing opportunity in its system. If it could work out the kinks, and perfect the tubing mechanism and get a handle on cost, they could have a potentially huge market for those who need more continuous dopamine delivery (that is the majority of us at some point). This could really be either an intermediary treatment between meds and DBS or an viable altemative to DBS. I wonder why they do not "get this"?

Sorry to hear that your husband ended up with such a serious reaction and infection. I am glad to hear that he has rebound and gains benefit from the system. Will he be able to continue treatment after the trials are over?

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote