View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 02:08 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Tyson, Do you really want a doctor who will give you the answers you "want" to hear? I like when doctors are completely straight with me, whether I like it or not.

You haven't had MG very long and it has been wholly unstable since your thymectomy. I find it highly irresponsible for a doctor to tell a patient with your recent history to go ahead and ski.

Yes, quality of life is important but so is breathing. High elevation, on a mountain and in an airplane, lowers oxygen. The body has to keep up more and your heart will beat faster and your muscles will work harder. Just the basic biology of going somewhere is not good for MG, especially not when you haven't been doing well. I push things sometimes but not when I'm unstable. Last time I did that, I ended up in a crisis.

Would you trust a FELLOW (neuro in training) more than an experienced MG expert? If so, that's dangerous. Dr. Howard, whom I greatly admire, has seen so many MG patients. He's not only a clinical doctor but he is a teacher, researcher and speaker. He's highly respected (especially by patients). You may want to think about all this for a few days or a week to really see what is best for you.

You have to be so damn careful when you lower Pred. Maybe you'll be fine but it has quicker effects, bad or good, on the body than Cellcept. Cellcept can take up to six months to really kick in. Why does he think March is the magic month?

It's your life and you'll do what you want no matter what we say it seems. Age and experience actually do often know what they are talking about. I guess you're going to have to go through a few more trips to the hospital before you accept what is going on. C'est la vie.

Take care, whatever you do.

Annie

I have to say this . . . Institutions aren't good, doctors are (no offense, Lizzie!!!). Even the big places like Mayo, Johns Hopkins, etc. have some pretty bad doctors. I do not like the feel of this situation, but it's not my life.

Last edited by AnnieB3; 02-17-2010 at 10:12 AM.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote