View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 05:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Wondering...

Hi,

I was looking at a citation list on PD and and DBS surgery, when this I noticed this title sounded familiar:

Naloxone-responsive acute dystonia and parkinsonism following general anaesthesia. Chaves, et al. 2009 "Anesthesia" journal

Various movement disorders such as dystonia may acutely develop during or at emergence from general anaesthesia in patients with or without pre-existing Parkinson disease. These movements are triggered by a variety of drugs including propofol, sevoflurane, anti-emetics, antipsychotics and opioids. The postulated mechanism involves an imbalance between dopaminergic and cholinergic neurotransmitters in the basal ganglia. We report an acute, severe and generalised dystonic reaction in an otherwise healthy woman at emergence from general anaesthesia, dramatically reversed by the administration of naloxone, pointing to a potential role of the fentanyl and morphine that the patient had received. Recent literature on the mechanisms of abnormal movements induced by opioids are discussed. The severity of the reaction with usual doses of opioids, in a patient with no prior history of parkinsonism, led to further investigation that demonstrated the possibility of an enhanced susceptibility to opioids, involving a genetically determined abnormal function of glycoproteine-P and catechol-O-methyltransferase.

While yes, this seems out there; I thought of your mother and how her symptoms seemed to really emerge right after surgery. I think the full text is available through Pub Med; you may want to print it out and share it with your mother's doctors. This abstract implies that her current condition may be reversible.

It sounds as if your mother is feeling more normal. Many of us function at normal or near normal levels when using medication like Sinemet; I do hope that she gets back to that point soon and feels welll enough to try driving again.

Best,

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (02-17-2010), olsen (03-01-2010)