View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

I think the hardest part of doing seeds is moving the newly sprouted things up into the first cells.

One has to handle the babies very very carefully, not to touch or squeeze the stems but hold them by a leaf (which is replaceable).

Some things don't like to be moved. And not all seed packs tell you this. So if you get one variety that doesn't like being moved, well...failure is upon you.

The germination process is not so bad, if you get good seeds.

I just moved 18 Catmint (from my album) that I harvested upNorth. We'll see within 2 days if they die now or not. ( I tend to lose 10-20% of transplants at this stage when things are good.)

I gently break the root balls up with a little plastic fork, and move to a 6pk cell.

Tomorrow will be the Butterfly weed... which doesn't like being moved. I got those free from a grower who sent me infertile JoePye weed (dark variety)... so what I paid for is not working out. But her freebees all came up, more than I can use.

I'm going to put these 3 to a large peat pot, and hope at least one survives moving (in each pot). I have 2 wild spots that they could do well in. IF they survive tomorrow!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote