View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 05:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Pedaling for Parkinson's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
Nan Cyclist,

I have been following your posts at 23andMe with some interest...glad you found us here. I'm embarrassed that I didn't think to suggest you share your experiences here.

Even if we don't all have as a tremendous response as you are having; I think the underlying message is that exercise helps!! I am concerned because I have been under a lot of stress lately and have been feeling worse- it's like I was immune to stress and now it's playing a wicked fast game of "catch up". I was beginning to think of how to best get my body moving again; I used to run but find it too much impact at this point, so I wanted to try biking. Can't do the road cycling right now but would love a stationary bike. I wonder is it easier to maintain that 80-90 mph on a recumbent or upright? I would think upright as you are able to put more weight over the pedals? Not sure, just wondering.

Yes, insurance companies do leave a lot to be desired. I did just learn that I qualify for a discount on equipment through Dunham's, so they do offer a little incentive. Learned they also offer multiple discounts on health memberships, nutritional supplements, yoga, etc. only they do not publicize this information! Well, I now I have no excuses

Thanks again!

Laura
Hi Laura,

I would guess that an upright stationary bike would be preferred, if only that it is closer to a road bike so when you are strong enough to switch back and forth it would be easier on your joints. Just guessing. I just returned from a 19 mile ride (one way into a headwind) and that reminded me of an important part of my experience. Whenever I feel miserable, tired, achy, upset stomach, just down for any reason and I'm SURE I cannot possibly get on my bike, within 3-5 minutes after starting to pedal, I'm fine. One day I felt so awful I was crying on the phone to my husband. His response: Get on your bike. I did and it was, and always is, like putting a plug into a socket and getting recharged. I can't explain it, but it always happens.

We just returned from a week at Whistler. Last year when we left I wondered if I would be able to ski again. I was stronger than ever and skied for 5 days, even with new powder. (No Lindsey Vonn mind you!) We also stayed up late because of the Olympics. BTW, I'm 64, female, and was never an outstanding athlete. My whole family was amazed.
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (02-18-2010), natnat (11-12-2014)