View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan Cyclist View Post
Hi Laura,

I would guess that an upright stationary bike would be preferred, if only that it is closer to a road bike so when you are strong enough to switch back and forth it would be easier on your joints. Just guessing. I just returned from a 19 mile ride (one way into a headwind) and that reminded me of an important part of my experience. Whenever I feel miserable, tired, achy, upset stomach, just down for any reason and I'm SURE I cannot possibly get on my bike, within 3-5 minutes after starting to pedal, I'm fine. One day I felt so awful I was crying on the phone to my husband. His response: Get on your bike. I did and it was, and always is, like putting a plug into a socket and getting recharged. I can't explain it, but it always happens.

We just returned from a week at Whistler. Last year when we left I wondered if I would be able to ski again. I was stronger than ever and skied for 5 days, even with new powder. (No Lindsey Vonn mind you!) We also stayed up late because of the Olympics. BTW, I'm 64, female, and was never an outstanding athlete. My whole family was amazed.
Hi, Nan & Laura,
I've also been following the discussion on 23andMe and actually posted there, too. I have some experience with the biking thing. A couple of years before PD diagnosis, we got a recumbent stationary bike, but I think the angle or something about it caused me to develop serious pain in my hip or S/I joint, feels like sciatica or periformis pain, is still here, has never gone away. I've always had trouble with my joints anyway.

Now I'm in a local PD group that has gotten a motorized upright Theracycle to use on trial for a few weeks. I've done 3 X week, 45-50 minutes, for a couple of weeks, at the recommended pace, no real miracles yet in terms of PD symptoms, but I'm still hopeful & realize it may take a while longer to see results. But like all exercise, I certainly feel immediate improvement in mood & many physical benefits. I think the upright position does seems less stressful on my messed up joints, but not sure yet.

I read about the Cleveland Clinic bike program long ago & have been following with interest, but when I've attempted to maintain the 80+ RPM pace for 45 minutes (even for more than a few minutes), I find it's impossible. I'm also 64, female, diagnosed 3 years ago, but convinced I had symptoms for years, possibly decades earlier. Take supplements, estrogen patch, calcium channel blocker, vitamins, etc. and only started meds (carb/levo) last month, no miracles there yet, either. But I'm doing pretty well, except for a big ol' huge tremor.
Peony is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Catma (09-02-2011), Conductor71 (02-18-2010), imark3000 (02-18-2010)