View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 12:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycah View Post
Thank you for your detailed response. I have no idea if I even have RSD but I'm at a loss right now.

My symptoms started out as lower right abdominal pain, numb then burning lower right back pain, and fatigue. That was seven months ago. I still have those symptoms and added: sense of smell/taste/sound is hypersensitive, thin and dry skin/nails/hair, night sweats, feet/hands sweating, feet/hands freezing cold, a couple of hand blisters, fifth digit in left hand wants to curl under. In the last month my arms and legs feel as if they are burning and clothing hurts to wear. I have had insomnia for five years.

Two months ago I had right side of face, ear, eye, top of head be very painful and was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia. Was put on Trileptal. Then left side of face hurt so they increased this medicine. I recently took myself off of it because it made me so dopey and thought it might have been making my skin feel burned. Since then my mental outlook has vastly improved and the face pain has not reoccurred on any side but the back pain has come back with a vengeance.

I have been aggressive in trying to find a diagnosis over the past seven months. I've had a colonoscopy, MRIs of brain and complete back, CT scan of abdomen/pelvis, EMG of arms/hands, Visual Evoked Potential for Multiple Sclerosis, a lumbar puncture and extensive lab work. Doctors have ruled out colon issues, mini-stroke, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, thyroid issues and fibromyalgia. I've been told I might have everything from shingles to chronic depression. I've seen two rheumatologists, four neurologists and a psychiatric nurse.

My father had great care at Barrow's about ten years ago for Parkinson's. At the beginning of all of this I went to Barrow's (vascular neuro) and had an awful experience.

What is HBOT?

I am seeing one of the founding doctors at Arizona Pain Center in Scottsdale next week. Seeing my current neuro in a couple of weeks for a follow-up to my burning and plan to bring up RSD.

Thanks for your info. I'm hoping the next couple of weeks reveal something. Oh, and I'm in Tempe.
Arizona Pain Center is where I would go. The two founding Drs. have good reputation. I also have trigeminal Nerve disorder. very painful. I went to Barrows also, but not good experience.

HBOT is a 100% oxygen chamber at twice the pressure and gets oxygen spread thruout the body. Scuba divers that come up to fast or get the bends, go into the chamber to get stablized. Some RSD people really respond to the increased oxygen-improves circulation. We take in 21% oxygen.
The VA hospital in Tampa just put in 16.

RSD was discovered during the civil war from gun shot wounds. I'm going to have treatment.

From your symptoms, it sounds to me like you have RSD. How did it start?
It's a very expensive disorder. Insurance doesn't cover HBOT. Meds are expensive and spreading is common. If you were diagnosed within the first 6 months you have a good chance of remission. I had two remissions of over a year each.

Hope this helps, loretta
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote