View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Cold packs - on/off...

I find I'm very sensitive to the cold...always have been so I wrap a lite towell around the pack.

Like heat, cold only works for so long as your vascular system can react in exactly the way you want it to...soo. Too long and it works agains you-the vascular system protects itself by 'shutting down'. The formula I use for either heat or cold is 15 minutes on the key site, then rotate to another site for same amount of time, then rotate back. Mrs D is right 20 mins is the max. In my PT experiences they usually start warm-up with some heat, and cool-down with some chill-packs..

For how often? Well, it depends on how long any chill-pack lasts...I find mine usually lose their punch after 30-45 minutes. How often to use them, well, again it's a an issue of tolerance...as long as it feels better w/use and not worse, do it as much as you can until pain is eased or swelling goes down...

As for surgery, it's a scary necessity! Really, really talk to your docs, your neuro and your surgeon about the meds, the surgery and any and all s/e's that mite happen...be SURE they are all on the same page.... That they understand YOUR concerns and that you know where they mite have some. Smushy answers are unacceptable! I will be hoping very hard that this can ease a LOT of your pain tho! Bone on bone? EEEKKK!!

Super thoughts for now - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote