View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 12:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Coachmomlu,

Before cycling, I was loathe to go to parties, meetings, any gathering where there might be multiple conversations that I would need to process before responding. I had difficulty speaking in complete sentences, much less paragraphs, and/or sequencing my thoughts. My ability to understand spatial relationships was severely compromised (and still is to some extent) which is one reason I took up quilting to force myself to think mathematically. I stopped reading books for nearly a year because, although I could decode words, I couldn't keep track of the train of thought. Insightful discussions were out of the question. I felt like I was losing my mind, and I probably was.

During RAGBRAI, the great ride across Iowa, Jay asked me to join him to answer questions from one audience and to speak with a TV reporter on another occasion. My husband told me the only advice he would give next time is to smile more and to stand up straighter. Content was just fine.

Now I'm working with people here to set up a tandem program at a local hospital and hopefully to work with YMCAs and health clubs to add PD programs to their spin classes. This involves developing a mission statement, goals, objectives, timelines and multiple resources, all things I did before retirement, but which I could not have dreamed of doing in the PD period before cycling. Although I can tell that I'm not functioning at as high a level as I used to, I'm much closer to normal than a year ago.
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote