View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 12:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Recently implanted SCS

Hi all!

I am so glad that there is a post that's just for SCS and pain pumps. This site is so AWESOME!! Everyone is so great and has helped me with their comments and suggestions that I thought I would pay it forward with my story in hopes it could help someone else......

I’ve lived with chronic pain that radiates throughout my entire body for the past 5 years. After being misdiagnosed numerous times, the doctors finally discovered that I have stenosis, a split in my lower spinal cord, and a tethered cord that isn’t tethering as of yet. I was told that surgery to correct these things would not be possible at this time so they introduced me to the SCS implant. I did the trial back in October of last year. During the trial, I was hesitant as to whether or not it was working for me. It was a matter of getting use to trading in one sensation for another. Now, most people would say a tingling feeling is much better sensation then pain. I tend to agree. However, I know pain. I’ve been living with it for the past 5 years. I wake up with it and go to sleep with it. This tingling sensation is new to me. Would it be like starting all over again 5 years ago but with tingling instead of pain? I had my answer as soon as the trial was over. I knew as soon as they took the leads out and the pain came rushing back. The tingling sensation was so much better than the pain. I had control over the tingling. I never had control over the pain.

So, that same day I made the appointment for the implant. It was scheduled for February 10, 2010. My doctor and I discussed the fact that I wanted to be as active as possible since I was only 37 years old and had a 6 year old to keep up with. We decided to implant a paddle over the leads to keep them more secure. My doctor placed the leads in the T9 - T10 area. This will only cover my lower back and legs. She also had to cut out a little bone in order to make room for the leads and paddle due to the stenosis. Also, my arms and neck would not be affected with this surgery because the stenosis was worse in the cervical area. However, I am hoping that with physical therapy and exercise (which I wasn’t able to do before) it will help alleviate that pain.

My doctor told me the surgery went great. However, my body did not like the heavy duty pain meds so I ended up staying in the hospital an extra day. It’s been a little over a week since the surgery, and I am still uncomfortable with pain around the incision area but I’ve only been taking Tylenol and Ibu since the stronger meds make me sick. The battery was placed on my right side above my waistline. It’s a little tender to the touch and it’s a little bruised but other than that I have had no other pain associated with it. I was a little disappointed with the Medtronic’s rep. He tried to show me how it all worked when I was still in post-op. I told him to come back since I was still a little groggy. He came back a few hours later to my room but you could tell I was his last patient because he was very quick with his instructions and then left. Luckily, I had a friend in the room who also listened to his instructions because I was still a little out of it. When I was more alert the next day, I had more questions so the nurses called Medtronic’s. They sent a different rep down. She was so much better about explaining things. My advice in handling any rep is to not be afraid to tell them to wait until you are comfortable and can comprehend what they are trying to show you. Or have someone there who can show you after they leave. Now, Medtronic’s does provide a DVD that explains everything, but I believe one-on-one training is so much better.

So that’s pretty much my story in a nutshell. I’ve got my first follow-up appointment on the 22nd and I will let you all know how that goes.

Thank you to all who have ever posted on this website and all who are just popping in to read some of the posts. It is great therapy to express your feelings to people who actually understand and have gone thru what you are feeling!

You are all the best!!!
kzlrogue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kakimbo (03-23-2010), Rrae (02-20-2010)