View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 02:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Theresa,

I'm afraid I don't agree with a lot of what you say. I've raised working dogs for 40 years and have found that each individual who has a need for a dog to perform some kind of task (not necessarily as an SD) needs a dog that is not only suited the tasks to be trained but to that individual as well. I've seen SAR, patrol and K-9 even herding dogs matched with people who were very dog oriented only to have the team fail months into training because of a personality imbalance between dog and handler. It doesn't mean it's the wrong dog or person or they can't do the job as individuals. It means that is the wrong combination of dog and handler and a change in the team was in order. I use border collies for all my work dogs from the farm I grew up on through SAR and trail work to my Med Assist and PSD. I could not work with a dog of another breed because our personalities don't match. It is of vital importance that not only the breed of dog be matched to the owner/handler but the personality as well. FYI personalities can be determined in a puppy pen.

In addition you mention a size limit on dogs, 15lbs I believe, for several reasons. One of them is the carry factor and being able to fit into a shoulder bag (does a stroller count?) another the concern being that your dog should never be in a position to pull you off your feet. I agree in that your dog should never be put in a position to cause physical distress or pull you off balance. However that is what training is for. A dog that cannot learn to walk loose leash or off a leash, to wait without being told, exits a vehicle or door without a command is useless to a person holding an armload of packages, trying to talk to the kid, make a co-pay and whatever other distractions there are around. Even if there are 50 angry cats wanting to kick your dogs but he should stay still.

As for carrying your PSD or any SD I object strenuously. They have feet and can walk for themselves. The exception is unless the dog needs to be in physical contact at all times to do his work and I don't think that is necessary. There are a couple of reasons I object. First it leans people away from completing what is considered minimum training for any program or OT service dog. Most people use the ADI PAT for that standard. A dog that is carried everywhere will not be able to pass the PAT. Second (note there may be some unintentional triggers here)
the advent of the faker dog in recent years. People who carry and push there dogs around and claim they are service dogs. These dogs are generally easy to spot as fakers but not always. Things like fear and reactivity and control problems plague these dogs when they are in public and cause no end of problems for legitimate SD and especially PSDs that are carried. If you are going got have a SD of any kind it should be able to pass the ADI PAT minimum. Being on the ground, behaving in a proper manner and wearing a vest is how it's done. It is a question of protecting all teams and establishing a standard for ourselves before the pundits and politicos write it into law.
desertranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote