View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Ask your coach: "What do I need to do to get more playing time?"

Also, "What problems do you see in my play during practices?"

As a post concussion survivor, you will be the last person to recognize your difficulties. This is the most frustrating problem with PCS. You may even think that you are trying harder and doing better but all they see is you making more mistakes because of the added pressure you have put on yourself.

Get a team score sheet and try to keep track of the play. Shots, rebounds, assists, blocks, passes, steals, inbounds, etc. This will show you how good your brain is working. I don't know the usual terminology. Keep track of each player using whatever abbreviations you can memorize.

I did this for soccer. I was team manager and statistician after having to give up playing soccer because of a concussion. I was kept busy because our team was fast and outscored our opponents over 140 goals scored to 1 goal against us for the regular season. Would have been state champs but our team went to the bachelor party for our right inside striker (right inside forward back then) the night before the big game. All got drunk and were hung over for the game. Our team had beat the state champs in club soccer play.

I had to watch this fabulous season from the sidelines in street clothes. I know what it means to give up a sport. I changed to track and cross country and was one of the best in the state. The conditioning from soccer gave me great distance running skills.

btw, You will have a better chance at a college scholarship with track and cross country than soccer and basketball. Work out with an Ergo machine and you can get a scholarship in rowing/crew.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (02-21-2010), Hockey (02-23-2010)