View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 06:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It is unfortunate that ESAs are receiving a lot of bad publicity. Even worse is the Paris Hilton syndrome where everyone has to have their dog with them. It has become a major problem where I live which is an afluent community. The problems that stem from traveling with an ESA/PSD arise from years of abuse and people unwilling to challenge an alleged SD regardless of type. Since you sais your dog has been trained to perform some PSD tasks them my suggestion ios to take the next step and train for the pat. If you qualify as an individual for a SD/PSD then the ESA classification goes out the window and your dog is now a PSD even though he also fills the role as an ESA.

Example. By legal definition I fill the requirements to won an SD. My dog does fulfill a position as an ESA. However he is also trained in tasks specific to a PSD, a mobility and alert dog and is in PAT training. Technically he is a Serivce dog in training (SDiT) Under Calif state law he has all the privlidges an SD has including travel despite his being primarily a PSD. As long as you fulfill the requirement of law you cannot be refused. In your case it seems to me the extra step in training might just well be the answer, raise your ESA to the level of a PSD.

It is unfortunate we sometimes have to take steps like these bnut we do it to protect ourselves because the law is not always written that way.
desertranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote