View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 08:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Works for both

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSmi View Post
All I can add is a couple of things you may already be aware of:
NMDA is the abbreviation for a synthetic, non-natural compound, N-methyl-D-aspartate. That compound was found to be a strong antagonist of glutamate, the natural amino acid ligand which activates a certain type of Ca2+ channel, the NMDA receptor.

Are you finding the beneficial effects, meds kicking in AND induction of drowsiness, only when you take both DXM and benadryl?

Robert
Yes, I have both things happen; well, three things really. I'd say first and foremost taking both alleviates my anxiety over meds not working so there is a relaxation factor, the meds turn on and then I feel sleepy. The relaxation happens very quickly and the meds follow; the drowsiness kicks in maybe 30 minutes.

Well, I'm not sure it will help anyone as we are pretty idiosyncratic with our symptoms and reactions. I think mainly for me it helped the anxiety...this may in turn have helped meds switch on.

I wonder if maybe there was some sort of reuptake inhibitory effect going on somewhere, well, I'll look into it more- I'm really interested in our 'forgotten' transmitters. So much emphasis is placed on dopamine that I wonder that we don't miss things that may be helpful in a more indirect way.

Thanks for the added info!

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote