View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 10:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default PN moving into hands

I have the same problen with the last two fingers on my right hand. I have been going to a rehab clinic, and working with a therapist on the problem. She uses a multiple lazer machine, along with electric stim, and multiple exercises to keep the fingers limber, and movable. It seems to have worked pretty well, (24 sessions). That is all that the insurance will allow.

In my case, the PN is the outgrowth of Waldenstroms cancer, and reacts to what the cancer is doing. Presently, my IgM is 6,440 (down from 7,900). As the IgM goes down, so goes the PN. The hematologist is using a combination of Rituxan,(860mg every 3 months) and Dexamethasone (10-4mg tablets every Friday), and Metanx daily. So far, the results have been less than I had hoped for. Seems the IgM has a mind of its own, and although it has receeded at times, it will suddenly spike up. and we have to start over again.

Now that the insurance has stopped the therapy, I only hope the cancer treatment drives the IgM down soon enough for the fingers to regain their abilities.

My bout with PN started with the feet, and so far, the only permanent damage that I can attribute to it is that "padded" sensation on the bottom of both feet. I am about finished with a problem we encountered last summer, which was "diabatic eruptions", (looked like huge blisters to me) which broke out on both heels. It has taken 6 months to heal those suckers. That was the pits. No shoes, only backless slippes the entire time. Try shopping at Wally World in your "fuzzies", and not draw attention.

Anyway, that's my story, and I"m stickin to it. LOL . Prayers, and good thoughts to all who suffer from PN, especially those with no known cause.
Gyrene is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote