View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 11:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default PCS recovery

I have had PCS for 5.5 months following a fall. I did not have a severe concussion, at most it was a very mild concussion. The post concussion syndrome has been anything but mild! The first 2 months were bad, constantly tired, headaches, blurred vision, tinnitus, lack of energy, wooziness - the usual stuff. However, I seem to have made significant improvements starting at about the 2 month mark, and then smaller improvements about every month (can give the sense of plateau-ing between improvement stages). In most of the cases, it isn't that i noticed some dramatic change waking up one day, but rather one day I realized that one or more symptoms have reduced or in some cases nearly entirely subsided as i get through the day. I still have symptoms, and I still get headaches. But, rather than daily headaches that are severe, I get weekly headaches (maybe twice a week) that are milder and milder as well. My vision has gotten better as well. The biggest improvements I have noticed have to do with the reduced level of fatigue and general "wooziness". This has allowed me to return to work (phasing in slowly) which helps get one's mind off of dwelling on the symptoms all the time. At the same time, I have also had new symptoms arise that were not part of my experience in the first month. After 1 month, I developed tinnitus and also frequent nausea. Both of these symptoms have faded somewhat, but not yet fully.

I have seen very, very good neurologists for this - long practicing one that was chief neurologist for several pro sports teams and said he had seen literally thousands of PCS patients over 30+ year career. After meeting with him in detail, i firmly believe that not a heck of a lot is actually known about PCS and there are different theories out there amongst even the best in the medical community. Feedback I got was that there is no "normal' for recovery. Some see substantial improvement in a short time period, others see smaller improvements over longer time period - severity of concussion is not a predictor of PCS recovery timing. I have also spoken with several others who have had PCS, some who recovered within months, others that took more than a year. It's tough to find two like experiences with this.

My own philosophy has been to "listen to my body". If I am too tired, I back off. If I feel better, I do more things. It allows me to test limits during the recovery process.
DTRPCS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote