Old 02-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonina View Post
I have CIPN and diabetes II and have been taking the following every day. What I'd like to know is the optimal amount I should take. Here goes:

R-Lipoic Acid
Acetyl L Carnitine
Benfotiamine
Folate
Biotin
Omega 3

If there are any I should be taking but am not, please let me know.

I do not take any drugs for diabetes right now since I tried Metformin & it wrecked my GI tract. I am hoping a new endo can suggest alternatives to Metformin. Will see her next week.

Also would like suggestions for diabetes supplements. TIA.
Well, with Metformin, you will need B12.... because metformin depletes this in about 40% of patients.

Suggestions for the others:

R-Lipoic Acid--- up to 100mg a day, you can start at 50 (check your blood sugar because this can lower it)

Acetyl L Carnitine-- 1 gram a day is often enough, but you can start at 500mg and raise later if needed.

Benfotiamine-- I'd start at 300mg a day, and may reduce to 150 after 3 months or so, or stay at 300 if necessary

Folate-- 800mcg a day

Biotin-- 300mcg to 1mg

Omega 3-- 3 a day of regular or 1 or 2 of double or 1 triple strength. You can take more, but start low, and this may be enough. This is fish oil.
You can also take flax oil in addition or purchase foods fortified with flax
as this is another basic Omega-3. I use Smart Balance peanut butter for example. But there are fortified cereals now, yogurt, all sorts of new foods with flax oil added.

B12-- 1 mg a day on empty stomach, if you know you are low, start at 5mg a day for 3 months, and when levels are good you can go down to 1mg a day.

Get tested for Vit D levels. This is important for diabetics.
(and everyone else).

And also, all diabetics need magnesium. See my magnesium thread:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread1138.html

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote