View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Eddy,

I think you may be trying to do too much self diagnosis. You need to take a much longer term approach. The short term ups and downs will drive you nuts. The resultant stress will be counter productive to healing and/or learning skills to improve your life.

There are quite a few of us here who have been through the ups and downs many times over a long period of time. It has been over 40 years of them for me.

Learn to stabilize your life to prevent future risks.

Learn the skills needed to minimize the functional limitations caused by your symptoms.

Learn to accept those symptoms that you cannot overcome with work-arounds. If they improve after more time, great. If not, you have not wasted time worrying over them.

The best way to look at your symptoms is to minimize your awareness of them. Then, after time has passed, say a few months, you might have a "Eureka" moment and realize that you just did something that you could not do before. Or you realize that you have not experienced a return of a specific symptom in a long time.

The "Eureka" moments can then be fabulously uplifting.

I go on with life as if I don't have any negative symptoms. I accept not driving as a normal characteristic of my life.

I do not plan or expect perfection in my activities of daily living (ADL's). My wife treats me the same way.

If she asks me something that needs my memory to answer, I will try to remember but if the memory does not come readily, I will just answer that I don't remember. I don't fret about it and neither does she. We go on.

Sometimes, I will be able to recall an amazing amount of information and detail. Other times, it is like my memory slate has been wiped clean without a clue that the memory was ever there.

I have memory tricks that work sometimes and not other times. That is the life of PCS.

So, give yourself and your brain a break. Then go live your life.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote