View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks! I have mentioned it to me, but he seems to get insulted when I talk about it. I know he's awesome and am really glad he's there, so I'll just focus on that and deal with it when/if I do recover.

Yeah, the air boot . . . . . One of my docs told me he was gonna take it away and burn in if he saw me in it again. But my pain doc keeps telling me that I should wear it if it lessens the pain, even though I've told him that would make it worse. He's also told me to put ice on it when I'm in a flare, and this is the only pain clinic my insurance will cover that has even heard of RSD before. They even have it listed on their website. When I take the boot off it hurts so much I'll be throwing up and crying, and when I tried to do it I missed a lot of work and really can't afford to miss anymore right now. My car is a manual transmission, and it's flat out dangerous to drive without the boot, I forgot to put it on once after physcial therapy and almost stalled out on the freeway. I know my pain doc doesn't understand rsd at all, but my only other choice is a doc that believes that rsd should be treated with no meds at all. I'm seeing him too for the biofeedback and he oversaw the physcial therapy, and has told me more then once that I should not be taking any meds at all. Right now I only take oxycodone 15mg/5x day and Amitriptyline 10mg at night. I hated lyrica and neurotin, they made me feel sooooo sick I couldn't stand it. I was on 5mg of oxy for the longest time and it took me breaking down and crying at the doc's for him to raise it. Which was funny because I'd told him several times that I can only get any relief from it when I take 2 or 3 pills at a time, and he would just dismiss it and say that was too many pills to take. I'm out in the waiting room and hear a guy tell the nurse he has to schedule his appt for sooner because his insurance company will only cover 300 of the 400 morphines he was prescribed . . . . So it's obviously not too many pills, and I know he could've just raised the mg. But then when I was crying he looked at my chart and was like "oh, you're only on 5mg, we should raise it" . . . So I don't know . . . . He seems unwilling to raise my meds so that I can still function at work without the boot on, and my doc that knows the boot should be off thinks no meds is the way to go (it's actually their clinics philosphy). So I'm kinda stuck. If I lose my job, I lose my health insurance . . . . . It's totally a catch 22. My last appt my doc told me to take a nuerotin if I had a flare, but even I know that you have to take that stuff consistently for weeks before you get a good effect. Taking it once here or there doesn't work. Both my feet and legs have been cramping up really bad for the last couple months, anytime I try to do anything, and I've told my doc and he just tells me that's part of it. But no suggestions on how to deal with it. I've told him I've tried heat, massage, hot baths, drinking more water, etc, and he just says "well that's all you can do". But the cramps are getting so bad that I can't get to sleep, stay asleep, or sit for 5 minutes without it happening. My fiancee trys to rub my legs to help, but it makes it worse and hurts. I just want him to give me meds so that I have something for breakthrough pain, but he seems to think that the neurontin will work for that. I have to give my fiancee my pills because I know that if I keep them I will take more then I should when it's really bad so I can work. But then I'd run out early . . . . Has anyone ever had this problem? Is there anything I can do to explain things to my doc without sounding like I think I know more then him? The lyrica and neurontin had such bad side effects with me that I couldn't do anything, I felt like a zombie. I told him that when he mentioned that I should take it for a flare, he told me that when I'm in a flare I'm not doing anything like work anyways so the zombie effect shouldn't bother me. As is, my meds take me from about an 8-9 to a 7 in pain, what should be the goal of pain treatment? I know it shouldn't take your pain completely away, but keep you at a functioning level, which for me I'd need about a 5-6 to be able to keep it in the background and focus on my work. What is a realistic level to be trying to get down to?
hollyk24 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote