Thread: its been awhile
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation

Dear Janet -

I agree that it is unconsionable for a doctor to be able to hold you hostage, although I understand the theory of any release law: to make sure that two or more pain doctors are not prescribing meds for you at the same time without the knowledge of each other. That said, the purpose of the law cannot be to allow a doctor to hold his/her patients hostage.

And what's insane is that you have an untreated broken leg, which may heal improperly (or worse, cause the release of marrow into your bloodstream) simply because this bozo doesn't know how to administer continuous regional anesthesia that could do just that. From what I understand, there is a very good pain group at Vanderbilt, based at the Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/pain-center/ with a satellite faciliity in Franklin TN 615-764-0080, if either location would be convenient for you.

If I were in your shoes, I would try contacting the Vanderbilt Interventional Pain Center in Nashville at 615-322-4311, and if nesessary ask to be connected to a social worker to see what can be done about your situation. Just looking at their website, they appear to be doing some cool stuff:
Our Services

The Vanderbilt Interventional Pain Center provides diagnostic and therapeutic outpatient services for individuals experiencing pain.

Patients seen at the center may be facing a number of pain-related issues such as chronic back and neck pain, cancer-related pain and neuropathic pain resulting from diabetes.

A new patient visit starts with a full assessment, including medical history, and then a plan to alleviate the pain is formulated, usually starting with the least invasive procedure. However, the biggest hurdle is often finding the source of the pain, which can be accomplished through precise diagnostic nerve blocks.

The center is also involved in research activity. Dr. Sukdeb Datta, director, has a focus is on a molecular neurosurgical approach and is funded through a grant from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Rather than treating pain with narcotics or by cutting nerve pathways, these techniques specifically target the neurons that transmit pain signals.

The center partners with specialties like neurosurgery, orthopaedics, psychiatry and physical therapy, with the goal of providing a full spectrum of pain management services. . . .
http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/pain-center/15094

If they can't be of immediate assistance, I would just go ahead and call the State of Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners today at (615) 532-3202. For your reference, its address is:
227 French Landing, Suite 300
Nashville, TN 37243

http://health.state.tn.us/Boards/ME/
Good luck!

Mike
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sandel (02-23-2010), SandyRI (02-24-2010)