View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 04:40 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

soccer14,

The issue of your monthly cycle has to do with how your brain responds to hormones. Progesterone is good for your brain. Less progesterone leaves your brain more susceptible to injury.

Hormones also effect almost every bodily function. An injured brain can misdirect the hormone systems of your body. Your period is the least of the issues. It is more the behavioral and cognitive issues that can be effected by hormone irregularities.

I would suggest, as I think the others will agree, that you should get a good understanding of your current condition first before you get overly focused on any specific career direction. Take care of your brain and body so that you can count on it to carry the load of college studies.

I was studying to apply to dental school. I graduated high school 23rd out of 340 seniors. I was an honor student with a 92.3 percent grade average (strong A average). This was before AP classes and honors classes grade point weighting. My up and down college academic record from the relapses (decompensations) from minor head bumps or a high fever (effects the brain just like a concussion) caused me to change major and career direction.

You will likely need good support as you take on a college study load. Athletic Training (kinesiology) is a competitive course. Here at Boise State, the underclassmen compete for the upper class openings. My daughter has looked into the course work and requirements. The other health professions are even more difficult. Physical Therapy requires a doctorate in most states now.

So, if you understand what I am trying to say. You need to get a good understanding of your condition and capabilities before starting down this road. At least if you want to be the most successful.

Has your doctor ever suggested a neuro-psychological assessment? If your first concussion was from sports, your school may be able to direct you to a good NP Assessment. It will give you a good idea of how your brain is working.

My best to you as you make some difficult decisions. Get your folks involved in this issue. They will be a big help if they are on board with your efforts and decisions.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (02-24-2010)