View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 01:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Question about work and reasonable accommodations

I have continued to work full time, luckily up until now my company has been very good about letting me come in on saturdays and stuff to make up time missed from not being physically able to be at work or being gone for doctor appointments and stuff. I'm an accountant, more specifically I audit financial statements for companies, so it's a desk job with very little to no interaction with the public. I've been trying lots of different things to help me make it through the day, since drugging myself isn't an option and most of the medications I have I can't take during the day.

Some of the things I have done to help minimize the pain so I can work a whole day are:

Take frequent breaks, going outside for about 2 or 3 minutes every hour or so to stretch my legs and do some breathing excercises to help relax.

Not sit at crowded tables for meetings, all too often I will get kicked accidently by someone shifting their feet, and it's my foot and ankle that are affected with rsd/crps, so it's not at all fun to have it kicked. I'll usually sit right behind everyone with my foot up on another chair, maybe 2 or 3 feet behind the table. Also, when the meetings are very long, I will get up every 45 minutes or so and leave for a minute to stretch my legs and relax.

I've also found that on days where I'm especially sensitive and am doing something (like physical therapy) or putting certain creams on my legs, it's better to wear certain pants, which aren't exactly business wear. Since I'm sitting at a desk and not dealing with any customers or anything it hasn't caused a problem.

I've also asked for help a few times with things that require me to stand for long periods of time.

This has never been a problem before, but the other day my boss got mad at me (for a completly unrelated matter, he tried to change an important procedure and I disagreed, he got in trouble with our VP for even suggesting the change) and decided that I need a "performance review". Took me into his office and told me all of the above things that I do I can no longer do, that I will have to make more effort to just "not be in pain", and that my "attitude" is bad because I look like I'm miserable sometimes. All of my coworkers know about my condition and have been told by me that they can interrupt me at any time with a question or need, regardless of if I look in pain or something. He gave me a written warning. Some of the items he listed were things I have prior permission from HR to do! Like the clothing and leaving meetings I had cleared ahead of time. I strongly feel that he is mad at me and is trying to use whatever he can to get me in trouble.

In response, I have turned in a written request to HR outlining my need for reasonable accomodations at work. Has anyone ever done this before? I feel like he's trying to use my rsd as an excuse to get me in trouble, as he even wrote on the bottom of the warning that "I have been very impressed with the work product that you have been producing on the “projects” i.e. the Fresco project with the attorney. Thank you very much for doing such a great job with this." and has never had a single complaint about my quality or quantity of work. His complaints are all directly related to my foot. Is this discrimination? Now that I've informed my company of the accommodations I need, if he continues what do I do? I don't want to have to get a lawyer and sue, because in general my company has been great, it's just him that is a problem. Has anyone gone through anything similar?
hollyk24 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote