View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Genetics or death?

A world withough suffering. A world with no pain. We could live life the way we want to. There would be no premature death, no illness or disease. Life would be worth living.

Genetics has come a long way since our parents time and since their parents time. Vaccines, new medical treatments and new research topics spring up every day. If somehow we could end suffering, if by chance we could end pain, would it be worth it?

As genetics expands we get the feeling that eventually we will have the potential to eradicate all human suffering from the earth. The feeling is electrifying. Think about it though, we would be killing people. The glimpse of this world we would be creating is scary. Our ideas about the eradication of suffering is optimistic but are they really so far away? A world in which so many people are found, are considered , unfit to even be born doesnt sound like the ideal life to me.

There is a difference. We could use gene therapy to treat medical conditions, not get rid of them. As much as I hate suffering with RSD, and as much as I hate seeing other people suffer, to declare that we absolutely know who has and hasnt the right to life at all is unimaginable.

I personally dont trust the human population to be able to decide. After all we are only human. We dont know what will happen today or tomorrow so how can we make choices that will affect our decendants forever?

This stuff I'm talking about, it shouldnt be only talked about in small groups. No, it should be discussed everywhere, with everyone. Especially kids. We are the future, we need to know about this stuff.

I think that by completely getting rid of human suffering we would be getting rid of what makes us human in the first place.

Speaking from my point of view, I have learned so much from my suffering with RSD. I have realized what we would be missing if we were perfect.

From RSD I learned what truely matters in life. I learned that I can conquer my pain over time if I try hard enough. I learned that I can help other people with RSD through their pain with words. I dont have to be a genetisist to help people who suffer like me.

My point is, are we really trying to eradicate pain and suffering or are we trying to play the role of God? Are we trying to protect ourselves and our family members from pain or are we trying to play with the lives of our friends.

Life without suffering would be great but...
I dont trust US.
snowboarder13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kakimbo (02-28-2010), Wilbyfree (02-25-2010)