View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Congratulations on giving up alcohol.

Don't beat yourself up over your seeming tardiness in seeking medical attention after your latest accident. Denial, lack of insight and lack of initiative are ALL SYMPTOMS OF A BRAIN INJURY.

In fact, the least reliable person to ask about their condition is a recently brain inured person. My neuro-psychologist wishes that GPs were trained on how to talk to concussed patients. You need to ask specific questions like did you vomit, are your ears ringing, is it too bright in here, etc... Ask us how we feel and what you might well get back in the answer "fine," either because we can't recall symptoms or we can't recognize their importance.

Even months and years later we are often the least aware of our symptoms. When I had my neuro-psych, I was shocked by all the things I couldn't do and by all the behaviour changes my friends and family were reporting. I didn't have a clue. That's why it's really important to have a good support system of folks who can help you recognize and address your symptoms.

Take Care
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote