Thread: Tummy Troubles
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 05:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I live with an unhappy gut . . . and without a colon. Life with only a small intestine is interesting (I don't have an ostomy, but instead a pull-through anastamosis) . . . so believe me when I say I understand. And these days I am eating cautiously until I can schedule my next surgery . . . adhesions have created two hernias and they cause blockages all too regularly!

So I have days when my gut hurts, my feet hurt, my hands hurt, and I can't function after taking meds to address all of the pain.

I take probiotics every day, because the good bacteria live in the colon, and without one of those anymore, I have to keep adding more good bacteria every day. I use VSL-#3 which has been created to prevent pouch inflammation, but also I eat yogurt.

Do not delay a trip to your doctor if you see blood, black in your stools, or any significant changes in your habits. IBS is an immune disorder, and unfortunately we all seem to have wacked-out immune systems these days. Be careful using over the counter acid reducers, as they can cause issues of their own.

It might help to review the known side-effects of any medications you are taking as well. It is amazing how many new symptoms are a result of treating other unrelated symptoms.

Hope you all find some way to alleviate your intestinal issues . . .
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (02-25-2010)