View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 07:53 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hello holly,
Sandy, I'm still here, (I have a friend with RSD, RA, and now Cancer, who I'm trying to help privately)....
I'm sorry I haven't been here as often. (I can grate nerves anyway, so ya'll have a break!)

Holly,
I've taken methadone, pill form for about 20 years.
Side effects: the biggest are constipation (easily remedied) and, too much can cause breathing arrest. Since I have sleep apnea, I'm very aware of that one!

I've taken up to 100mg, after my second accident (that I shouldn't have lived through).
I started @ 60 mg.. and, wanted to cut down on ALL medication. So, I was sent to a very good PM psychiatrist @ Jefferson, in Philly, and we slowly and scientifically got my methadone down to 12-15 mg/day.
Then accident 2.
That's when I shot back up to 60 / 80 / 100mg.
I'm back at 50-60 mg/day now. (if one day I only take 50, I have ten extra for breakthrough, I never take more than 70 now)..rarely.
some diazepam up to 20 mg/day.
60mg of cymbalta.

Then other things for other injuries.
Aricept for my brain injury.
and, migraine meds.

zanaflex, for sleep/pain.

So, no, you can't just STOP taking methadone. Especially if you have pain!!
But, I was told to think of it as "blood pressure medication", I'm gonna take it for as long as I live, or until a cure, or
some better med comes along for RSD (full body) pain.

It's been a blessing. I'd be curled up in a ball, without it.

Speak to your doctor, and take his advice. It's getting to be rather difficult with pharmacies, with so many pharmacists getting caught stealing it, along with oxycontin, etc..

I used to take FAR TOO MUCH of lesser medicines. Now, with methadone, I have the proper medication, at the proper dose! 60mg/ is average.

Be Blessed, and,
Be Well!

Pete
AintSoBad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
loretta (02-27-2010), SandyRI (02-25-2010)