View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

1. an archeologist -- I'm sure that had something to do with books that I read
2. a librarian-- Because I loved to read. And I still do. I just thought I could spend the whole day reading.
3. a spy -- Don't ask
4. a lawyer -- I loved studying law while in college, but I wasn't so sure about practicing it. So now I teach a law course.

Overall I have been happy in my career as a professor. It is great when you have a class that gets really excited about the material. I also enjoy working with graduate students on their research topics. And it provides a lot of flexibility in terms of scheduling. The downside is too many committee meetings, campus and departmental politics, and students who just come to college because it is the thing to do. I wasn't sure if I wanted to get a PhD in Political Science or English literature, but I decided on Political Science because I wanted to get a job. There are about 500 English PhD's for every position.

If I could have another career, I would be independently wealthy and own a book store in Cape Cod. I even have a name for my store. It would be "Rock and Read"

Trish -- The majority of students change their majors at least once. So you gave her good advice -- just take her gen ed requirements. One note of caution -- if she decides to major in education it may take her longer to complete her degree because they have very specific gen ed requirements. I did not declare my major until I was a senior!
barb02 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (02-26-2010), SallyC (02-26-2010), tkrik (02-26-2010)