View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

When I was in high school, I wanted to teach. Then I decided I wanted to be a medical technologist. Didn't follow through on that...
After birthing 4 kids, I got a camera from DH for Christmas and got pretty good at that...took classes...didn't understand lighting ratios, so I decided there's no way I was going into photography...
Then I went back to community college to be a nurse...took anatomy and physiology & bio classes and loved them...but realized I don't like touching people...so I got my associate's in English.
When my oldest was going to college I asked DH, can I go back and finish? Of course, being the angel he was (is) he said sure...so I majored in English with a writing emphasis...and I loved every minute of it.
I was in a project several years ago that in which I wrote a first draft of a novel in 11 months, 30 min. per day...and I surprised myself by finishing it. It's horrible, but I was so proud of my accomplishment. And my poetry was well-liked by my professors in school.

I worked in a bookstore, worked as an instructional aide teaching below level 1st grade readers to get them up to grade level, and worked as a server in a breakfast/lunch restaurant until my symptoms got in the way of my doing a good job, so I had to quit.
Since then I've been my inlaws' driver and med/dr. overseer.

I actually started a blog last month, but have only written on it a couple of times. It's great as a creative outlet...gets all those thoughts spinning in my head down on "paper", if you will. Writing is my passion...my therapist has strongly suggested using it to get clarity and to add creativity to my life.

So tell your daughter that whatever she studies in college, her education will be a life-long pursuit...and as my dad told me, "The best teacher is experience...books don't teach you anything about life." He was one of the smartest undereducated people I ever knew.
barb02 (02-26-2010), SallyC (02-26-2010), SandyC (02-26-2010), tkrik (02-26-2010)