View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I'm not sure if I always wanted to be a nurse because my older sister wanted to be one or if it was all on my own. I idolized her, followed her every footsteps. So we dreamed of being nurses. Dad gave free reign of the garage and helped us make a man sized hinged wooden man that we would bandage, splint, pick berries and give as pills. We had a great time with Herman!

We are 18 months apart so she went off to college first. You have to understand here that my Dad was a strict Southern Baptist preacher so going off to college is quite a revealing experience! So she found out that she was terrible at nursing and swiched her minor to education. Her major continued to be men!

So I just happened to come across a hospital based nursing school one day at a careeer fair. It's a diploma program. You actually start in the hospital working with patients at about the second week where my sister at the end of her 1st year still wasn't in the hospital. Anyway I loved it, got so so grades but thrived after graduation. I was an RN for 27 years until MS said it was finally time to quit. With health care like it is today I don't know if I could reccomend nursing to anyone now.

I would still be working there now if not for my MS but God had differeint plans for me. I am now chief cook and bottle washer at home and medical referal for all my family. My Mom, MIL and sister have many heath problems that I would problby have a nervous breakdown if I were trying to work and handle all the other problems.
doydie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (02-27-2010), Dejibo (02-28-2010), SallyC (02-26-2010), tkrik (02-27-2010)