View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 12:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaJane View Post
I so wish I had known about trekking poles before vacation, and am so glad to have learned about them now. But I can't tell the difference between the two types. The price differencei s huge--the first link lead to a pair for $100, and this link to a pair for $24. Can anyone parse the differences?

Let's put something about these in the stickies. Like you, Mrs D, I found that balance was my biggest issue with the "hikes", which were no more than nature walks to the rest of the world.

Thanks.
The more expensive poles are lighter in weight. They have better quality adjustment mechanisms that lock more securely, and unlock more easily for adjustment. They are quieter in use, i.e. the interior tubes are shielded from banging into the exterior tubes during use. They're probably better balanced to swing more naturely. The finish is probably much better quality, and as is the aluminum in the tubes. Some of the expensive models have spring action shock absorption (which I don't like). The expensive ones probably are better contoured to reduce shock to the hands and arms even without shock absorbing spring action, i.e., they're engineered instead of being blindly and inaccurately cheaply copied. The more expensive ones also would tend to have more comfortable and higher quality handle grips to reduce shock.

On the other hand, the cheaper ones could be a great value, and the more costly ones overpriced for what you get.

Most outdoor shops rent trecking poles, so you can try before you buy.