Thread: spoon theory
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 11:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Really cool, love the theory. Could we use wooden spoons in case they don't get it mentally, then maybe we could show them how it really feels. LOL

I did something similar to this with my two sons, who fear no pain. They are 21 and 22 and they were very excited to show me how much pain they could tolerate and wanted to know what mine felt like. I used the tens unit, just one pad and one arm. I insisted they we continue to watch the tv program and just sit as we normally do. I took the control, I let them get really relaxed, and I gave them both a mild 1. They laughed. a minute later I gave them a 2, and they rose to the occassion. So we did this for about fifteen minutes, and they just couldn't stand it anymore. I never went above a 5. What bothered them was the fact that they didn't know when it was coming or what intensity it would be, they were not able to focus on the tv show and the pain was very frustrating. I then told them to overcede my pain I had to put the unit at about 25-30 to get relief. They have a different understanding now. One is going to nursing school and actually wrote a paper on the effects of pain.

Wishing you all a pain free day!

Jeanie
Wilbyfree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Imahotep (03-01-2010)