View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
PCOS patients may do well on Metformin. This however has GI side effects, and also may lower B12 levels. But some women lose weight on this and also become pregnant (if that is what they are trying for)

An alternative to this is a natural supplement called d-chiro inositol. This normalizes the metabolism of glucose and will also result in pregnancy in previously infertile women.
Thanks MsD! I'll look into the D-Chiro-Inositol site. I've tried Metformin several times in the past, and although I didn't have the same GI issues that other people experienced, it didn't help in any way. My cycles didn't improve, nor did my other symptoms.

Oddly enough, the bloodwork I've had done over the past year didn't indicate that I was having insulin resistant problems (though in past tests it has shown I was insulin resistant at that time)... they even tested for diabetes, and thyroid issues just to be sure the symptoms I've had recently weren't being attributed to either of those.

Once I found the link of Gluten Intolerance to PCOS, and found out that I was in fact intolerant to gluten, soy and casein, it made sense that I could bring on my cycle just by eliminating the bad foods / food groups. I'm going to give my body 6 months of healing on a strict GFCFSF food plan, take my prenatal (that's also GFCFSF), start increasing my exercise / strength training load - and if this doesn't work, then at least my body will be much healthier to carry a pregnancy.

As a note: Last August I was on a strict GFCFSF diet, had my cycle, ovulated, and about a week or so later fell off the wagon with my food because of major work issues (layoffs being announced and all)... needless to say, I had the worst period I have ever had in my life. The pain, the clotting, and everything seems to be associated to the fact that I interrupted the process of holding a pregnancy. I fully believe in my heart that had I continued to stay plan, I would be pregnant today. My body is reacting to the restriction in these food groups as I've never seen it react (in a very positive way).

AGAIN... THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!! I'm finding LOTS of useful information here!!!
keri337 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote