View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Quote:
I'll have to take a few days to read through the links on your responses. Quick question though... what are the genes I carry? I don't know how to read that from the results from Enterolab - are they DQ3 & DQ1? What is tha Allele 1 0301 an Allele 2 0602??
Yes, you are DQ3 and DQ1. There are naming differences between blood test and cheek swab ways of doing the HLA testing, and translating between the two can get somewhat confusing. And, apparently, the naming has morphed some over time. I've been heavy in the gluten sensivity 'business' for a decade now, and can tell you the genetic jibberish is something I just try not to think about. Seriously, all the letters and numbers, variants, changes in nomenclature, etc, are something I've just never gotten a handle on... and just avoid rather than try.

The bottom line is those with HLA DQ2 and HLA DQ8 are predisposed to celiac disease/ villous atrophy. You don't have either of those, so it is unlikely you will ever test positive for anti-tTG2 or show villous atrophy on biopsy. That is all it means. Celiac disease is just one of many ways gluten sensitivity can manifest.

People without those main celiac genetic types can certainly be gluten sensitive, and it can manifest in both gut and nongut symptoms (but not villous atrophy). My daughter had GI, skin and neurological symptoms did not have the main celiac genes, but did have double copies of HLA DQ1. I also have double copies of HLA DQ1. My daughter tested positive for antigliadin IgG, but I didn't.

Don't get bogged down in the difference between the antigliadin antibody and deamidated gliadin antibody. Just skip all that as it really isn't important for you. It just explains some of quirks in current testing methods. The antibody testing and subsequent pitfalls and loop holes have gotten ridiculously more complicated with the addition of each "new" test they come up with.

Antigliadin IgG (not run on your) would have been the best of the blood tests available to show non-celiac gluten sensitivity, but your results from Enterolab should be trusted. The stool testing is even more sensitive than antigliadin IgG. I know many, many, many, people who are better today based upon trusting the results of those tests.

This is the explanation on genetics given by Dr. Fine on the Enterolab website Q&A page. Does it help ? It does and it doesn't. The genetics, in the end, don't mean that much because nearly every genetic type is susceptible to non-celiac gluten sensitivity.
Quote:
Why are gene results so complicated, and which genes predispose to gluten sensitivity/celiac sprue?
Gene tests for gluten sensitivity, and other immune reactions are HLA (human leukocyte antigen), specifically HLA-DQ, and even more specifically, HLA-DQB1. The nomenclature for reporting HLA gene results has evolved over the last two decades as technology has advanced. Even though the latest technology (and the one we employ at EnteroLab for gene testing) involves sophisticated molecular analysis of the DNA itself, the commonly used terminology for these genes in the celiac literature (lay and medical) reflects past, less specific, blood cell-based (serologic) antigenic methodology. Thus, we report this older "serologic" type (represented by the numbers 1-4, e.g., DQ1, DQ2, DQ3, or DQ4), in addition to the integeric subtypes of these oldest integeric types (DQ5 or DQ6 as subtypes of DQ1; and DQ7, DQ8, and DQ9 as subtypes of DQ3). The molecular nomenclature employs 4 or more integers accounting together for a molecular allele indicated by the formula 0yxx, where y is 2 for DQ2, 3 for any subtype of DQ3, 4 for DQ4, 5 for DQ5, or 6 for DQ6. The x's (which commonly are indicated by 2 more numbers but can be subtyped further with more sophisticated DNA employed methods) are other numbers indicating the more specific sub-subtypes of DQ2, DQ3 (beyond 7, 8, and 9), DQ4, DQ5, and DQ6. It should be noted that although the older serologic nomenclature is less specific in the sense of defining fewer different types, in some ways it is the best expression of these genes because it is the protein structure on the cells (as determined by the serologic typing) that determines the gene's biologic action such that genes with the same serologic type function biologically almost identically. Thus, HLA-DQ3 subtype 8 (one of the main celiac genes) acts almost identically in the body as HLA-DQ3 subtype 7, 9, or other DQ3 sub-subtypes. Having said all this, it should be reiterated that gluten sensitivity underlies the development of celiac sprue. In this regard, it seems that in having DQ2 or DQ3 subtype 8 (or simply DQ8) are the two main HLA-DQ genes that account for the villous atrophy accompanying gluten sensitivity (in America, 90% of celiacs have DQ2 [a more Northern European Caucasian gene], and 9% have DQ8 [a more southern European/Mediterranean Caucasian gene], with only 1% or less usually having DQ1 or DQ3). However, it seems for gluten sensitivity to result in celiac sprue (i.e., result in villous atrophy of small intestine), it requires at least 2 other genes also. Thus, not everyone with DQ2 or DQ8 get the villous atrophy of celiac disease. However, my hypothesis is that everyone with these genes will present gluten to the immune system for reaction, i.e., will be gluten sensitive. My and other published research has shown that DQ1 and DQ3 also predispose to gluten sensitivity, and certain gluten-related diseases (microscopic colitis for DQ1,3 in my research and gluten ataxia for DQ1 by another researcher). And according to my more recent research, when DQ1,1 or DQ3,3 are present together, the reactions are even stronger than having one of these genes alone (like DQ2,2, DQ2,8, or DQ8,8 can portend a more severe form of celiac disease).
https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPage...rpretation.htm

You medical history screams gluten sensitivity. And, it so happens, that 50% of those with gluten sensitivity also have casein sensitivity. No surprise. Soy and corn round out the top four. Absolutely .... stick with a gf/cf/sf diet. It's a common trio... you are not alone. Corn has a pretty nasty reputation, and although we haven't scratched it entirely yet in my family, I'm on board in concept and am trying harder to avoid it. Don't make the mistake of using more corn products as a substitute for wheat. If anything, decrease or eliminate corn.

I've also read a lot about PCOS and gluten sensitivity, infertility/miscarriage and gluten sensitivity, and heavy/ painful/ irregular periods and gluten sensitivity... including success stories w/ positive outcomes with gluten free diet.

Here is some info on infertility/ miscarriage:
http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com...ndmiscarriage2

Good luck! Stick with it!

Last edited by jccgf; 02-28-2010 at 04:26 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote