View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

There is a big difference between dwelling on the negative and accepting the reality of the symptoms of PCS. AD and other dementias are more likely in the future but do not have any control over today.

Instead, I have recognized my current symptoms and have worked to overcome them, whether by brain training or work-arounds.

Recently, I have learned that I can do certain brain training tasks that previously I could not do. I have historically used FreeCell as exercise. After my 2001 injury, I would fatigue quickly playing FreeCell.

Recently, I had an opportunity to play FreeCell on a PDA. I had minimal problems with fatigue. In comparing it to FreeCell on my computer, I realized that the fatigue was caused by the larger screen and the need to do much more visual scanning. The PDA was all in one small visual field of view.

I hope to find other exercises that I can do with the smaller visual field of view. Maybe I can get more of my multi-step processing restored.

Of all of the posters on this forum, I am likely the one with the longest PCS history. I have been recovering from PCS for over 40 years. I recovered to very high levels from my previous injuries until the last one in 2001. It has been a stubborn injury. The headaches are frequent. The confusion is recurring. The memory skills refuse to recover. The multi-step processing has been problematic.

My most successful area of recovery is right here. My ability to organize my thoughts to post on forums like NT has been remarkable. My ability to research and cut and paste information from multiple screens has been improving greatly. This may be due to work-arounds or other accommodations but I don't care one way or the other.

I can put my thoughts together at length. Yes, I know I can be very long winded. You can read what you chose and ignore the rest. It is great exercise for my brain. With my environmental stimuli limitations, this is a large part of my social like. I struggle to talk on the phone due to auditory struggles. So, I try to keep my mind exercised by researching and posting.

As Hockey noted to Soccer14, the effort to post with proper grammar and spelling, etc. can be difficult. The editing offered by the computer allows one to correct their typing and organize their thoughts. This is a large part of the therapy of on-line posting.

The need to be tolerant of others critiques stretches the brain as it wants to attack in response. The need to respond with information and not personal attacks takes great effort for some. The need to sort between opinions and factual information often requires research and review. More exercise for the mind.

So, do I dwell on the future? No, but I also do not plan my life to paint myself into a corner. My wife and I are trying to simplify our lives. This will benefit us if my condition deteriorates. But it is also a benefit as it allows us freedom from the complications of life. With this freedom, we can do things without the burden of returning home to a complex life and household.

There are magazines dedicated to living "The Simpler Life." Most people will benefit from simplifying their lives, whether they have a PCS condition or not.

Well, I have gone on too long. I think I will rest up to be ready for the excitement of the Canada-USA Olympic Gold Medal Men's Hockey game. We owe the Canadians a good fight. They beat us for the Women's Gold Medal.

The Olympics have been playing havoc with my blood pressure. Up and down, Up and down. Downhill and Super G, speed skating, bobsled and luge, and now hockey. My brain will enjoy the rest tomorrow after the Olympics are over.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (02-28-2010), pbob10 (02-28-2010)