View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 11:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Rick,
Thank you.
Yes I agree there are several ways to classify this kind of information, the three you mentioned are good. In many ways, this is the least scientific way of collecting information......Too many interacting factors, no controls and oh well I can go on and on! Clearly not the right way to do a study.....

My intentions are non-scientific. I want to collect information to document how diverse, open-minded and well read our PD community is; to highlight all the scientific discussions, experiments of the lab rats and the hypotheses formulated......in many ways no different than the scientific community. I like to bring out this point via the PD book and hope this sends a message to the scientific and medical community that it is time to listen to patients.

Ok folks there you have my reasons for asking these questions, please give your comments, suggestions and experiences......

Thanks

Girija
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Girija-

It may be important to realize that there are at least three groups or classifications to be considered.

1- Things we take to slow or halt progression. These do not provide feedback and are a longterm matter. We can only base these on existing research and logic.

2- Things we take in hopes of repair of existing damage. These, too, are a leap of faith although less than the first.

3- Things that lessen symptoms. Unlike the other two, these have effects that we can perceive.

In group 3, I would place the following-

The combination of Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid. I can detect a measurable increase in the time that I can balance on one leg within 48 hours of starting this.

Electrolytes, particularly potassium. On a half-dozen occasions I have reversed major problems quickly. One of those was so bad that I could not stand up. Within ten minutes I was fully recovered.

While still new to me, American skullcap is shaping up to smooth out and perhaps even reduce my meds. It also seems to have a good effect on my blood pressure.
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote