View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Needsomeluck,

Welcome to neurotalk.

I am fifty and was just diagnosed last fall with severe osteoporosis. The bones of a 70 year old. I am sure that it did not happen over night so I am assuming that I have had it since my early forties.

I have been on prednisone for over 5 months and it just accelerates bone mass loss. I have been off of work since November due to a fractured sternum and ribs caused by a hug, and not a passionate one (LOL).

I have compression fractures of L3 and L5 from picking up a normal size bag of garbage. I also have degenerative disc disease in the entire lumbar spine and spurs scattered throughout.

I have always been a very active and failrly petite woman and I really do not fall into the category of someone who should have such advanced osteo.

I do understand how painful, frustrating and limiting it is to have constant pain. They say the spurs can cause severe pain.

You are very young and that may be why they are leaving surgery as the last option.

Are you in an kind of physical therapy to strengthen the muscles?

I have no idea what the doctors plans are for me yet either, I just wanted you to know that I can relate to what you are going through and the fact that we go from running around like manics to having to watch our every move. It is a hard pill to swallow. Many on this site can relate in one way or another to what is like not to have their mobility.

I hope that you can find pain relief and also that you can avoid surgery.

God bless you and take care,

Jude
heyjude5050 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote