View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 11:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default alternative therapies

Hi Girija, do not know if my husband's regime is applicable; so many of the vitamins and supplements are directed at damage we feel was caused by the lipophilic statin, Lipitor. The resultant Parkinsonism is not the direct target, rather the mt dysfunction, depleted selenoproteins and thus glutathione reductase, depelted phospholipids, and depleted CoEnzyme Q10 as a result of the statin are the targets.
He does avail himself of Tai Chi and Chi Gong at least once a week. He notices a positive effect upon his sense of balance after these session

He also practices Pilates 3 times/week. I note an improvement in his posture after each session, and he feels an increase in body strength from doing pilates over the past 5 yrs.

He also has acupuncture, now infrequently. During the first 3 yrs following his diagnosis, he had acupuncture about 1X/month. His acupuncturist taught him an acupuncture pressure point he could apply to lessen his hand tremor; this continues to work, though not as well as initially. My husband is not as disturbed by the tremor as he is with other symptoms, so ignores it mostly. He maintains he has a feeling of well being following the sessions, though could not identify any other benefits. I notice a decrease in episodes of hand tremors for at least 24 hrs following a session.

Husband began CoQ10 supplements @100mgm/day, prior to his diagnosis in Aug, 2004, because we discovered that Liipitor caused a depletion in this substance. At the time of his diagnosis, he was advised to increase this to 1200 mgm/day, based upon Shults' and Beal's study published in 2002. If he forgets one of the doses of CoQ10, he is very aware of doing so. Initially, his facial expression was less masked, his walk less shuffled and bradyknesia lessened from using CoQ10 @ 1200mgm/day as a monotherapy. Now he notes a definite increase in bradyknesia if he misses a dose.

In addition, my husband works out on weight machines 7 days/week. His cardio is usually exxercise on elliptical machine, though at least 1 day/week he runs (he maintains short, slow distances are now his specialty. )

Vitamins and Supplements:
ascorbyl palmitate ~ 4X/week
Vitamin B1 (benfotiamine) every day
Vitamin B 2 every day
Methylcobalamin /day
Folic Acid every day
P-5-P (B 6) 3X/week
selenium 3 X/week
N-acetyl cysteine several times/wk
r-alpha lipoic acid every day
acetyl-l-carnitine every day
magnesium orotate 200mgm/day
magnesium glycinate 200mgm/day
DHA 200mg/day
Probiotic 1 tablet/day
Pantethine every day
mixed tocopherols, tocotrienols 1 capssule 2X/week
mitochondria formula containing phospholipid (just started 2 days ago) 1/day
Calcium chewables ~3X/week

Brocco Sprouts--handful/day (sulforaphane)
Blueberries via smoothie daily

this list varies over time
Just beginning to return Vit D3 to his regime. He had difficulty with the 50,000IU doses he took several months ago,2 weeks apart, so we have been reluctant to reintroduce it to the mix. we started with 500 IU's every few days.

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson

Last edited by olsen; 03-01-2010 at 02:15 PM.
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
girija (03-01-2010)