View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 12:04 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Good question! Just last night I was watching the classic movie BenHur and commented to my family that how Leprosy can be cured these days! So are TB, typhoid, small pox...Common theme for all these diseases except small pox is that they are all bacterial infections and antibiotics work well. So it seems we are good at solving one pathogen-one disease puzzles.

I cannot think of any diseases we managed to cure in the last 20 years or so
but definitely learnt to control them. Various cancers (leukemia, breast cancer)) and AIDS and are good examples.
Good question, makes me think about all the good that came oout of research labs!

Girija

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim0918 View Post
I got to wondering tonight what was the last thing that we as a society/mankind whatever you call it cured? We've got lots of stuff that we treat better and detect more of this disease-perhaps it's just becoming more prevalent,hmmm. But what was the last thing that we truly cured with our "modern medicine." We're just treating the symptoms, not controlling the disease. Just food for thought, I'm thankful we're where we are at but it seems like it's not going anywhere.
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote