View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Alex,

The sooner the tooth is removed the better, but 2 weeks may be ok. You will have to monitor your symptoms and if the pain increases or you get a swelling then you may have to get it out sooner.

When the extraction is done, the bone will be evaluated and the bone graft may be placed at that time. If there is too much infection, the graft will be done at a separate surgery date a few weeks later. Either way, the bone grafting is not uncomfortable and you won't even know it's there. Depending on what type of grafting material is used, sometimes tiny pieces fall out as the area is healing which is very normal and nothing to worry about. Alot of graft material is used to fill up the surgical socket so losing some is no big deal.

This is definitely a difficult thing to deal with....... but you really will be ok. The flipper will be annoying at times, but it will give you a pleasant smile and you will learn to work with it very quickly. Fractured teeth are very common and typically people don't know they have one until the tooth shows signs of infection. Often the fracture is not visible until the tooth is removed.... sometimes the dentist tells the patient and other times he doesn't.

Hang in there...... everything will work out ok!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex123 View Post
Thank you so much for the info. I don't know anyone that has had a fractured root in their tooth or had an implant so this is very scary for me.

I am having the impression made for the flipper this week by my dentist. But was told it can take a week or two for the flipper to come back. And then the Oral Surgeon will pull the tooth. The Oral Surgeon wanted to wait to pull my tooth so I don't have to walk around with a missing front tooth. Which I agreed. So I won't be having the tooth pulled for at least two weeks. Which I am a little concerned about waiting another two weeks to have it pulled even though I will be on antibiotics.

I also think I have to have a bone graft. Does that hurt or feel weird? They are not putting the implant in the day of the extraction, so I guess they would do the bone graft at the extraction appointment?

Again, thank you for your reply. It was very helpful.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alex123 (03-03-2010), Bobbi (03-03-2010)