View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 03:26 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

For those that might come across this thread in the future, I thought I would update this thread with our current experiences. My daughter's concussion was Oct 11, 2009 - so we are almost at the 5 month mark.

A month ago, we started my daughter on 25 mg of trazodone at night. I was told it would knock her out, but it didn't. On the advice of our presriber - we increased her to 50 mg. She tried that dosage for 5-6 days, but it made things worse - didn't sleep at all one night, and dry mouth/stuffy nose side effect. We put her back down to 25 mg and were going to re-evaluate. She's been on this dosage for 2.5 weeks now.

Things that I have noticed:

1. An improvemnt in her mood (not surprising because it is an antidepressent but we are using it at a really low dosage).

2. While she is still slow to fall asleep - it is better than without - perhaps 1 hour vs. 2+ hours.

3. I think she is sleeping better because she is much easier to wake up in the AM. Before I could barely brag her out of bed at noon with lots of fighting. Now, I can pretty consistently get her up by 10:30. Still not early enough for school, but a HUGE improvement.

4. Over the past few days, the headaches have greatly decreased. I don't know if it is due to the trazodone or just that she is finally starting to get better.

5. Memory - still an issue - but we are seeing improvements as well.

It is difficult to know how much the trazodone is helping vs. just time vs. a little neurofeedback or the combination of all of the above. I do know the trazodone is helpful for sleep as she did have a harder time falling asleep because she forgot to take it earlier in the evening. I do know she is much better than she was even two weeks ago. She even told me she is starting to feel more normal again.
nancys is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote