View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Let me tell you what I learned.

When I accepted a SSDI retirement. I was FORCED to take medicare. It was part of the settlement REQUIRED by the insurance company. Which I thought was really stupid. I thought I would never ever need medicare in the mix. I had 2 golden policies. why do I need medicare?! The SSDI folks said it was required by the terms of my retirement.

#1 as long as the husband remained working HIS insurance now went to the head of the line as primary. My Medicare remained 2ndary. no biggie right? As long as he or I were working. Medicare stayed in the back ground.

#2 the minute the DH retired Medicare went to the head of the line, and became my primary. Now if medicare wont pay even a penny my Golden policy wont either. I have 2 golden or cadillac programs, but Medicare goes first, then mine, then my DHs policy.

PLEASE ask the SSDI folks. If you are UNDER 62 you CAN turn it down, BUT it WONT be offered to you again till you are at least 62 years old. So, if you decide to walk away, no matter the reason, it could leave you without any insurance. As long as your DH works, HIS insurance will stay at the head of the line. So, if you are already using him, then medicare would stay behind you as the 2ndary till he retires.

Does that make sense? Clear as mud?

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (03-03-2010), ewizabeth (03-03-2010), Kitty (03-03-2010), plgerrard (03-04-2010)