Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I have no idea....

Here is the Wiki on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn

Mrs. D.

I copied and pasted one of the paragraphs so others could see it.

Quorn is made from the soil mould Fusarium venenatum strain PTA-2684 (previously misidentified as the parasitic mold Fusarium graminearum [13]). The fungus is grown in continually oxygenated water in large, otherwise sterile fermentation tanks. During the growth phase, glucose is added as a food for the fungus, as are various vitamins and minerals (to improve the food value of the resulting product). The resulting mycoprotein is then extracted and heat-treated to remove excess levels of RNA. Previous attempts to produce such fermented protein foodstuffs were thwarted by excessive levels of DNA or RNA; without the heat treatment, purine, found in nucleic acids, is metabolised by humans, producing uric acid, which can lead to gout.[

I then said to myself "what is better?" Soil mould fusarium venenatum strain PTA-2684 (previously misidentified as the parasitic mold Fusarium graminearum 13), or a little piece of my teriyaki grilled chicken.???

I can't get past the words soil mould Fusarium venenatum strain PTA 2684. I don't even know what this is.

lol

Would you try this? that's what I really would like to know. Say, someone brought some Quorn over to your house, would you try it?
Melody

And all of you veggie people out there. ANYONE TRIED THIS PRODUCT??

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote