View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 02:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Nystagmus, Teenage Girls & PCS

Nancy we have hijacked your thread. Something tells me you won't mind as many of these issues are pertinent to your girl as well.

The nystagmus has settled down for the most part. She had a recurrence for about a week when she went from 30 to 20 mg. of Elavil and now again when she went from 20 to 10. It usually only happens now when she has been reading for awhile, especially if she is reading for homework rather than pleasure, and if she is tired. Her neuro opthamologist was a total jerk ("it's all in her head") even though she did have some atrophy on optic nerves and slowed response on the evoked potential test. He didn't see any need for therapy. The neuro continues to ask about it at appointments but doesn't believe there is any need for therapy at this point. I don't know if it would be worth a 250 trek to another neuro opthamologist?

Teenage girls do seem to have a lot of problems with PCS! My daughter has the worst symptoms during the week prior to her period. It's more complicated in her case, however, as until now she is the only female on her dad's side of the family (3 generations) without menstrual migraines. Her neuro thinks the concussion "reminded" her brain that it is supposed to hurt. Outside of the typical concussion headaches she had one migraine and it fit the description of menstrual migraine. She may get migraines monthly, maybe never again, maybe occassionally. We just have to wait to see.

I'm struck by how the high-achievers seem to be so severely affected by it. I do not for one second believe it is purely psychological, but I do wonder if the profound sense of loss exacerbates the symptoms. The young ladies on this forum are facing identity-changing circumstances at a time in life when your outward identity is everything. If you define yourself as a female athlete with strong academics, it's tough to lose it all in one instant. They go from the top dogs at school to complete question marks. Where do they fit in? Who are their friends? What do they DO? She has had teachers and other students make HORRIBLE comments to her ("are you going to die or something?" "do I need to talk slow to you now" "why are you making this up, nobody has a concussion for this long"). People seem to enjoy letting her know just how far down she's fallen in the pecking order. It's not all bad, though. She is learning early who her real friends are and, as we've discussed before, she's learning a lot about compassion. She'll be stronger for it.
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote